Sunday, September 23, 2007

3rd and last part of my trip write up

Here's the 3rd and last part. Thursday on the bus on the way home.

I shouldn't have put off doing this. I'm beginning to forget everything that happened on my trip! Not good at all!

Thursday
El Paso, TX. What a nice city. And I say that not because the city is nice (though I did like what I saw of it from the bus) but because of the guy I met there. LOL I'm such a girl! Can't you tell! I didn't really talk to him until we were somewhere between New Mexico and Arizona, so you'll have to wait until then to know about him.

El Paso…nothing really happened here. People were still frazzled from being held up in Texas for forever and a day that we were all avoiding each other to avoid getting in more arguments.

After El Paso was Lordsburg, New Mexico. I can't remember the exact time we arrived there, but it was something different than the 5:15 a.m. that's listed on my ticket stub. I want to say something like 7 or 8 am, but too much time has gone by that I just can't remember. It was just a truck stop with a Wendy's. My first time at this stop, I didn't get anything to eat, but I was hungry, so I got off the bus, used the bathroom and got something to eat.

So like I said, somewhere between New Mexico and Arizona I started to talk to this guy who caught my eye back in El Paso. We arrived in Tucson, Arizona around noon, had a break of about 30 minutes and we were on the road again.

Roughly 2 or 3 hours later we arrived in Phoenix. Now I'm remembering my timing better because while in Phoenix, a lot of the familiar faces were disappearing and I was able to watch CNN while we waited for our bus. We were in Phoenix for roughly an hour to an hour and a half…maybe a little longer. We also got a new driver who was a total meany! LOL

This is where I really remember talking to this guy. His name is Steven, he's originally from San Antonio and he'd packed up all his things to move to Oregon (at his siblings' suggestion), he's a lay minister, I believe he said he was either 36 or 38 years old, plays the guitar (which is what I first noticed about him), he's a computer programmer and has a son. There was so many other little things that we had in common too. The type of music that we listen to, our interests, being the youngest in the family, computers. It was just fin to talk to him and we never really ran out of anything to talk about. And seriously…we talked from Phoenix to LA. There were a couple of times when we both went to sleep, but if we weren't sleeping, we were talking to each other.

I believe it was about 7 or 8 p.m. when we got to Blythe, California. Everyone got off the bus to get food in McDonalds and there was this older lady (who reminded me a lot of my mom's mom) who was hard of hearing and the bus driver was giving her a hard time. I told the driver I didn't appreciate him talking to my grandmother like that and he left her alone the remainder of the trip. Well anyways, once inside McDonalds, I saw they had this free ice coffee deal when you ordered something and I was going to get one for me and Steven, but I wasn't sure if he liked coffee (later I found out that he did). So I got my food and made sure the elderly lady (who's name I didn't catch) got back on the bus. Steven had bought her a strawberry milkshake and brought it back to her on the bus. That was where I found out he too like coffee. We had the same hazelnut ice coffee. The elderly lady, who I told the driver was my grandmother, said that I reminded her a lot like her granddaughter…only nicer. Compliment for me, insult for her granddaughter. lol

The driver gave us a 30 minutes break and said to be back on the bus at 8:45 p.m. on the dot (or you were getting left). The driver asked several times if everyone was on the bus and we said yes, but that was because we couldn't really see if everyone was on or not. Turns out there were 2 guys who weren't back. One managed to get us before we left the parking lot of the McDonalds, the other ran after us down the street a couple of feet before the driver stopped. He gave the guy a hard time for not following the rules and the guy totally blew the driver off. Both of them were jerks.

It was pitch black through California, and Steven was bummed that he wouldn't get to see anything but nothingness. I kind of tried to point out things to him as we went from Blythe to San Bernardino. Nothing really. The same goes from there to Riverside. Nothing. He was able to point out that we were in Pasadena and we talked about his former friends who lived out there (or by China Lake…wherever that is)

It was about 1 am when we finally got to Downtown LA. There were maybe 30 people on the bus at this time. The originals from way back in Texas and the bus breakdown and the newbies who we picked up along the way.

Finally! Los Angeles. The last stop. People were cheering, which I thought was stupid. I found my parents, had my dad help me with my bags and said goodbye to Steven. He was going to have to wait until 6 a.m. for the next bus to continue his trip, but he had joked about spending a day or two in LA looking around so I don't know what happened to him after that.

I was totally lame and didn't get any contact info from him. So I apparently suck at talking to guys. lol


And that brought me to being home. I got home about 2 a.m Friday morning. I didn't get to bed, though, until almost 4 a.m. I woke up at about 10, I think and before I knew it, the day was over and I was going out to dinner with Lora and heading back to her place to watch movies (though we ended up watching cable, falling asleep/listening to Staci and Pablo argue.

No comments: