Monday, December 3, 2007

There is no winning with my speech teacher!

I just watched my recording from my speech today and other than being over by a minute and having to cut the last bit of my speech, I liked it.I thought I gave more eye contact than what came off during the speech, but I was wrong.

Before today's speech I reviewed the last recorded speech and thought I made the changes she suggested, but in watching today's speech, she said the same things over again...this time added a few other things: I followed my outline too closely, I need to work on my memorable statement at the end, more eye contact and to practice my speech more so I won't have to use the note cards.

1. what's the point of having an outline if you're not going to follow it? and what does this "followed outline too closely" mean anyway?
2. if I would have had the time, I could have used the memorable statement that's actually on my outline, but I was pushing 7 minutes and needed to wrap it up.
3. the more eye contact thing...I felt like I was giving good eye contact to several people, but I guess that wasn't enough. She also said that about 9 people (out of a class of 30 something) were looking at me and that was because I wasn't looking at them. I'm going to keep working on the eye contact
4. practicing of the speech more. I know that. I did however go over the darn thing about 15 times and I wanted to get the woring just right and ended up reading from my note cards instead of just speaking.

some things that she did like were my powerpoint presentation (it was very professional and all pictures used had sources from where I got them) and my opening narrative. And there was something else, but in the grand scheme of things, her likes of it was far less than those of what needed work.

I got my outline and works cited page back from the speech from last week. It would have been nice to have that BEFORE working on this new speech because a lot of the mistakes I made on the first outline were made on the outline from this speech. I now know what to do for that speech that's going to be on Dec 12.

Also, I can't get over how she told me to ask my peers for help with the outline and whatnot. They were the ones coming to me for help, I was helping them based on my work and THEY GOT BETTER GRADES THAN I DID! How the heck does that happen?! Every single person (about 6 people) who came to me and asked me to look at their outline and works cited page did 1-5 points better than I did! I'm going to turn the tables and go to them next time.

I'm so upset over this, I'm shaking!

Dec 13 I have an interview about something uber secret...and I probably shouldn't have said anything, but I'm nervous about it. I want it to go smoothly.

I'm going to keep my etsy shop up until the end of the year and if I haven't sold anything (at least 5 of the 19 things listed) I'm going to close up shop and let my mom deal with the selling of her creations.

CSI: Miami in 30 minutes! Yay!

No comments: