Monday, November 26, 2007

I knew this was going to happen

Yesterday (or Saturday) I get this e-mail about how the new Nicole Kidman movie The Golden Comapss is in retaliation, I guess, to C.S. Lewis' Chronicle's of Narnia. I didn't know that the author of The Golden Compass book (and 2 others) were written by an anti-religious man (Phillip Pullman), and I didn't care. Though I did notice during the previews, one could pull some sort of religios meaning out of it.

So about this e-mail...this is what it says
Kevin forward this to me, I was surprised, but then the world doesn't view things the way we do.

There is a movie coming out on December 7th 2007 called "The Golden Compass." It ain't gonna be pretty.
Read all about it @ Snopes.com:


I don't understand how people get so up at arms about movies and books that are fiction. So what if they have some religious meanings or are based on some facts that the author(s) believe to be true. No one, as far as I know, is saying that The Golden Compass and The Chronicles of Narnia are Truth (and there is a difference between Truth and truth. I learned that in a science class).

So anyways, what did I know would happen? that I'd get some sort of reply to and e-mail I sent to Maria (who sent me the snopes e-mail).

My reply to Maria (and the other people she sent that e-mail to) was
If one side of a story is going to be told, it's only fair any other sides are told...no matter if you agree or disagree with what's being said. If you don't like it, you can choose not to see or read it.

Then I get a reply back from one of the people I e-mailed
Perhaps you're correct but how is it that when an athiest is on his or her deathbed (and know they are about to die [opposed to instant death by accident or whatever]) over 90% have the clergy show up at their bedside. Maybe they just want to be sure.

I'm sorry, I don't feel there is a perhaps about it. People have a choice to see and read what they want. How they get about that is up to them. I, however, choose not to let religious things effect whether I see a movie (that I think is well done, even if I'm not a Nicole Kidman fan).

I just don't know how to respond to this guy's e-mail. I'm going to think about it and respond later tonight.

No comments: