Saturday, November 3, 2007

It's 2 am...guess what I'm still doing...

I'm working on my speech for Monday. Yup, I finally found some info I could throw together to give a speech on the Conestoga 1 and space travel. I totally feel like I'm BS-ing this and I'm surprised at how much I DON'T like that. lol I mainly hope that what I have is under 2 minutes.

Space, the final frontier. We've all heard that phrase before, and some, more than others hope to one day be out there.

Today, I'm going to talk to you about private space ventures, what launched them and what the means for us today.

Twenty-five years ago, a U.S. company launched the world's first privately-funded commercial rocket. That launch marked the unofficial start of a new phase of activity in space.

On September 9th, 1982 Conestoga 1, was launched in Matagorda, Texas. The $2.5 million rocket was 37-feet tall and built mostly from surplus missile parts, including a solid-fuel motor purchased from NASA. The Conestoga 1 carried 1,097 pounds, including 40 gallons of water that was to provide a dramatic visual show in the sky. Unfornunately, the sun blocked any view of the water. The rocket reached height of 196 miles before crashing back down, into the Gulf of Mexico. The entire flight lasted 10 1/2 minutes.

The company behind that successful 10 1/2 minute launch wasn't so lucky to begin with. According to The New Atlantis: A Journal of Technology & Society, Space Services, Inc first attempted to launch a rocket in 1981, but that ended in an explosion on the ground.

Despite the successful launch, and another in 1989, the company struggled to find customers and was soon eclipsed by the bigger firms and government entities that came to dominate the launch market. But small companies with innovative ideas still find space alluring, and private enterprise continues to seek new ways to make money in space. And what's even better, is that there are people hoping to one day see what astronauts get to see - the sun, the stars, the moon...and Earth, from miles in space. And one day, I might be sitting next to Lance Bass on the next tourist launch to space.


So what'd you think? Like how I threw in Lance Bass? Think it'll get a chuckle in class? LOL

I can't exactly guage how long it is, but according to the timer on my cell phone, the speech is around the 2 minute mark. That's great!

Now to transfer that onto note cards and practice a few more times (not tonight) and I'll be set for Monday!

No comments: