Thursday, October 25, 2007

As much as I love history...

I think speech is going to be my favorite class.

Yesterday
I bought my history book. Procrastinated on studying for a 10 question quiz and working on my 1 1/2 to 2 minute speech. I mad friends with like 3 guys in the class: Bobby, who claims to be Fabulously Gay and Lovin' It!, Mo, who claims to be a nerd deep down and Bobby calls Mo Dizzle, and Jonathan, who likes to be called Josh.

We kind of met weirdly, I guess. Bobby and Mo met in class on Monday during a "get to know your classmates" excercise and then I met all 3 of them yesterday. I was reading, working on my speech and texting with Marissa when Bobby came to the table I was sitting at. I kept doing the whole look at him then look away when he looks at me thing, but I didn't want him to come over...but I knew that he was when I saw him packing up his things and walking my way. He was all "Do you mind if I sit here?" and before I could finish saying no, he was already sitting down and said "good, because I was going to anyway." We laughed and talked about Harry Potter and I was going to text Jeanine and ask her the name of the last Potter movie that came out in the theater because I couldn't remember the name and Bobby was insisting it was Goblet of Fire. I KNEW that it wasn't but I couldn't think of the name. Bobby kept saying Flight of the Phoenix then after a while, Order of the Phoenix came to mind. So we settled that OotP was the best to date. Then another girl, who's name I can't remember, came to the table and asked to borrow my book. I let her use it and after that Josh and Mo came around the same time. Josh sat across the table from me (closest to Bobby) and attempted to study, but Bobby and I kept joking around and laughing pretty loudly. Then Josh and I started to talk and before I knew it, the teacher came and it was time for class to start.

We took the quiz and then went over the answers. Out of 10 questions, I think I missed 3. That's pretty good for not studying. lol After that it was time for the speeches. I was going to volunteer to give my speech first just to get it over with, but Ms Appel (yup, that's how it's spelled) had us to write our name on a piece of paper and she listed all the names she drew and that was the order we went in. I don't remember who went first, but the girl who sits behind me, Phoenix, went second and I went third. I think I went over my speech time by a couple of seconds. Everyone liked it and Ms Appel said that I should go over my speech before hand so I don't go over. Monday we'll get the grades for that speech as well as for the quiz. 13 people had given their speeches and then we had a break. Bobby and I were heading towards and elevator and Josh was kind of following and then when he saw that I was getting on the elevator (the snack bar is on the first floor and class is on the second) he was kind of like, "well...bye" and went back to class. I think he felt left out. I went back to the snack bar and went right back to class and as soon as I walked in the room, Josh stopped what he was doing and went to where I was and kind of...hovered to the right of me. I was looking at these free books on this stand and they were interesting to say the least. Nothing that I'd want to have in my collection. Class was ready to start again and the last 13 people gave their speeches. I was all excited that I was going to get to evaluate Josh's speech, but there was a new guy in class and he threw my counting off. I'm not going to lie...it upset me. lol Because I think by this time, I had already started to have a little crush on Josh.

We finish the speeches and evaluations and it's time to leave. I took longer than planned to get my things together and missed walking out with Josh. But then I saw him walking way across the parking lot and I was trying to hurry and catch up to him, but my friend Dee saw me so we talked for about 10 minutes. I tried keeping an eye on Josh, but by the time we finished talking (she was heading to class) he was already out of sight (again). So I didn't get to see which way he went. That upset me too. lol

I got home at like 730 p.m. or something.

edit: I forgot to mention what Josh's speech was about. He did his speech on the person he admired the most. Jesus. That caught me off guard. Well not really off guard, but I wasn't expecting it and at first I started to brush it off, I didn't want to be preached at in class, but after a while (which wasn't too long because the speeches were only to be 1 1/2-2 minutes long), I felt tears streaming down my face. I didn't even realize it was happening until he was done and I went to clap. I quickly wiped my face before looking over at him.

He goes to the Crystal Cathedral (one of the most beautiful churches I've seen) and I just might had to go when The Glory of Christmas starts in late Novemeber...if I can get tickets!

Today
History was good. I took like 3 pages front and back worth of notes. It's crazy. I think, however, I'm going to type them up. It'll give me something to do since we don't really have an assignment to work on until we individually go on our site visits and type up the paper for that. That paper isn't due until after we get back from Thanksgiving...I have a while to do it. I might go on the site visit next Friday (not tomorrow). Apparently my city has an art museum. I never knew that! I knew exactly where it's at too. I just have to call for their hours and to see what they have on display. Professor Newman said to call the museums to see if any of the displays fit our time line (1865-present).

So back to today. I haven't really made any friends in the class yet, but there is this one lady, Hiam, who I had classes with in the ATC program. She was in class on Tuesday, but not today. If I have the notes typed up and a copy to give to her (if she comes to class next Tuesday), she won't be too behind - we have our first exam next Thursday, Nov 1. Plus, I think that typing them up will help the stuff stick in my head better as I'll be reading them as I type them.

Today we also watched a couple of Kenny Rogers narrated History Channel shows. They were pretty good. I like Kenny Rogers voice. Needless to say, all the way home, I had The Gambler stuck in my head. lol And then I thought of Kare while that song was in my head. I'm an odd one.

Got home about 8:30, had dinner and watched the NCS dvds I got in the mail today.

Tomorrow I'll add more to my notes and type them up, read the next chapter for Speech on Monday and then do the learning style assignment Ms Appel told us to do. I probably won't do it all tomorrow, though. I got my scrapbooking things on Tuesday so I'll work more on that. As long as I have the majority of it done by Sunday and ready to print, I'll be cool.

I'm going to go back and watch NCIS now. My parents are going to be gone pretty early tomorrow morning. There's a conference thing for the churches in our association going on this weekend and my parents and Lora will be going to it. Lora's picking them up at 7 am. I'll still be sleeping Wee!!!

No comments: